These tomato cheesy grits are perfect for brunch or dinner. The fresh tomato puree with homegrown basil gives it a delightful taste. We paired it with spicy Italian turkey sausage for a perfect breakfast. I’m sure it would also be delicious with a poached egg or a side of hash browns.
- 1 cup tomato (2 medium size tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick cooking grits
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar is probably my favorite)
- 1 sprig green onion or chives, chopped
- Blend tomato, red onion, garlic and basil leaves in blender to make a puree.
- Pour into saucepan with 1 cup water and salt. Bring to boil.
- Slowly add grits, stirring constantly (seriously, don’t stop stirring, you don’t want lumpy grits). Reduce heat to medium as needed to prevent boiling over.
- Once grits have thickened (about 5 minutes), add butter, pepper and cheese.
- Pour into bowls and top with green onions to serve.